Sweetie Pie's Perfect Picnic
Wow, the weather is doing backflips lately isn't it? One day it's 80 degrees, the next day there's snow falling. Sometimes I forget what season it is! Then I rememer that, in fact, it is SPRING and I get so bummed because all I want to do is go outside! I've found that the best coping mechanism for this crazy weather is to prepare for a day when the skies will finally clear and settle into soft breezes and sunny days. That way, once it comes, I can run out of the house, apron flying, and do all the things I've been wanting to do all month (Remember Forever Cool's herb garden? I can't wait to make that one happen!).
So, in my latest fit of weather-coping, I decided to plan the Perfect Picnic. Picnics are the most lovely way to spend a spring day or evening, surrounded by friends and loved ones and enjoying the weather together. Below you'll find all the things you need to hostess a carefree, easy day at the park or beach, including a packing checklist, picnic-friendly recipes, and tips to make your day the best it can be. Let me know if there's anything I forgot - I'd love to add your special touches and ideas to my list!
- Picnic Basket
- 2 Coolers
- Cutting Knife
- Small Cutting Board
- Cups and Wine Glasses
- Corkscrew (don't forget this one!)
- Napkin Weights
- Moist Towelettes
- Paper Towels
- Trash Bags
- Salt & Pepper
- Citronella candles
Tips and Tricks
- Separate perishable and non-perishable foods to optimize space in your cooler.
- Use one cooler for perishable foods and the other cooler for drinks - that way people can grab drinks as they please, and you won't have to worry about the food losing it's cool.
- Pack in reverse order! Desserts go at the bottom, then the main course, then appetizers. It'll help keep organized so you can focus on the fun, not on the food.
- Tell guests to bring their own blankets or weather-resistant lounge pillows for extra comfort and a chic environment. People will be able to spread out and avoid sitting on grass or dirt, keeping everyone comfortable, clean, and happy!
- Pack candles! Picnics are possibly the most beautiful as the sun goes down, but with evening come gnats and mosquitos. Citronella candles keep away the creepy crawlies and profide a romantic evening atmosphere.
- Bring some fun activity, like a frisbee or a ball. Take advantage of the outdoors and have some fun! Plus, you'll get the blood pumping and work up an appetite.
Picnic-Friendly Recipes (from myrecipes.com)
Marinated Tomatoes with Basil and Balsamic Vinegar or Pesto Pasta Salad
Ham & Spinach Focaccia or Spiced Cold Chicken
Chocolate Chip Cookies
Lemonade Sweet Tea or Middle Sister Wines of course!
Posted on 04/25/2012 9:18 AM by Sweetie Pie